At the time when DeKalb County was thinking of everything that was historical, attention was being called to the huge granite boulder that was found near the entrance of the Community Park at Sycamore.
The huge boulder was the background for a bronze tablet on which the following inscriptions reads, “TO the memory of Carl S. Lattin, first pioneer to come to Sycamore, March 15, 1835.”
The boulder and marker were made possible through Mrs. Sarah Lattin Stevens, whose husband Frank E. Stevens, was chief of the war record department of the State of Illinois, a nationally recognized historian of Indian and was lore and a former newspaper editor of Sycamore.
It was also revealed that the National Tea Company store in Sycamore was on the exact spot where the first cabin erected by Carl S. Lattin stood. It is understood that a tablet was being placed on the building with this information.
Derived from columns from the Sycamore True Republican saved and recorded by the Joiner History Room and the minutes of the Board of Directors of the Sycamore Park District. Articles were condensed and rewritten by Dan Gustafson with the intent to keep them as factual as the original.