About Sycamore Parks Foundation
Sycamore Parks Foundation was created in 2021 to secure philanthropic support for the rapidly growing Sycamore Park District with a focus on promoting social equity, health and wellness, and conservation. The foundation graciously receives various donations on behalf of the Park District and responsibly administers them for the greater good or according to the donor’s specific request. It is a not-for-profit IRS 501(c)(3) organization comprised of members from the community at large and Park District Staff.
To make connections between resources and the essential needs of a vibrant park system.
We do this by
- Helping the Park District become stronger stewards of our parks, natural areas, and open land by promoting generous giving and resource sharing within the community.
- Raising funds through private and corporate contributions, pursuing grants, and seeking in-kind donations to enhance the Park District.
- Facilitating communication and collaboration to create efficiencies among the many individuals, organizations, and businesses whose goals, projects, and activities work towards enhancing life in Sycamore through the betterment of recreational opportunities.
- Inspiring all members of the community to be users, advocates, and supporters of the Park District through information sharing, education, and raising awareness about the District’s, past present and future.
- We value Equity by recognizing and aiding all groups in our community to reap the benefits of a vibrant parks system and continually seek new ways to engage with diverse user groups.
- We value Transparency through responsible philanthropic policies and practices.
- We value Sustainability and support the conservation of Sycamore’s green space for recreation and the well-being of the individual, today’s community, and future generations.
- We value Connections that support the mission of the Sycamore Park District in its effort to connect sycamore to wellness, nature, and each other.
Karen Schmitt, President
Edward Valdez, Treasurer
Becky Metcalf, Secretary
Board Member Application
Current Focus Areas
The GoodTymes shelter and surrounding spaces is a beloved community icon and sought-after space for family and community events. The addition of a band shelter for musical performances, lectures, and ceremonies will make this high-use space even more dynamic and functional. We will be working closely with the Sycamore Park District Board to find ways we can support this project which will be incorporated into their next long-range plan.
Trail connections are a top priority for residents and local bodies of government. The connections we are focusing on include Parkside Preserve to the new Riverside Sports Complex and the Great Western Trail Extension: Phase II.
19th Hole at Sycamore Golf Club
For the 100th Anniversary of the Sycamore Park District and Sycamore Golf Club, the Sycamore Parks Foundation is revitalizing this underutilized space. Now known as the 19th hole structural updates along with new tables, chairs, and planters will welcome golfers after a long round and help to enhance and diversify rentals and events.
We hope to inspire all members of the community to be users, advocates, and supporters of the Park District. This includes informing people about opportunities that can be found in their park system as well as environmental education to strengthen connections to nature and sustainability.