• August 26, 1958 Park Manager Emil Cassier Given Much of the Credit for the Outstanding Condition the Park is in Today

    Park Manager Emil Cassier held that position for 30 out of 33 years that the park was in existence up until this time. He assumed the post in April, 1928, helped to increase the golf course from nine to an 18-hole course and was given much of the credit for the outstanding condition the park is in today. CLICK TO READ MORE

  • February 16, 1935 Long Line of Swimmers Waited Their Turn in the Pool

    The Sunday record was nearly 100 to excess of the pool usage record established in July 1934, when 650 persons found relief from heat. CLICK TO READ MORE

  • September 14, 1934 Huge Boulder and Bronze Tablet – “TO the memory of Carl S. Lattin, first pioneer to come to Sycamore, March 15, 1835.”

    At the time when DeKalb County was thinking of everything that was historical, attention was being called to the huge granite boulder that was found near the entrance of the Community Park at Sycamore. CLICK TO READ MORE

  • August 15, 1934 Work Relief Project Started with Preliminary Staking and Moving

    A work relief project, meaning jobs for most of Sycamore’s 125 Idle, started with preliminary staking and moving. Cost was $21,000. Engineers staked out the approved site for Community Park’s $21,000 concrete swimming pool, the buildings which adjoined and the re-routed gravel drive as the first actual step toward construction. CLICK TO READ MORE

  • July 25, 1931 Entrance Donated by Post 99 Was Complete at this Time

    The entrance donated by Post 99 was complete at this time. The latest improvement at the community park was the installation of the lights on the pillars on each side of the new stone reentrance. In spite of the terrific heat, the grass was a vivid green and as smooth as velvet. CLICK TO READ MORE

  • March 25, 1931 Two Frame Shelters With Deep Well Water Erected

    Two frame shelters with deep well water where the weary and perspiring golfer went to refresh himself and restore his composure, was erected near greens number 8 and 12 on the Community Park golf course, according to S.M. Henderson, secretary of the park board of directors. CLICK TO READ MORE

  • October 30, 1928 Sycamore Had a Modern 18-Hole Golf Course

    When plans and work were completed the following year, Sycamore had a modern 18-hole golf course. The land so generously donated by William McAllister, plus seven acres leased from St. Albans, completed plans. CLICK TO READ MORE

  • September 12, 1928 There Were Now 95 Acres in Sycamore Park

    There were now 95 acres in Sycamore Park. A tract of fine land was to be added to Sycamore Community Park, squaring out the boundary, the unsolicited gift of William M. McAllister. CLICK TO READ MORE

  • March 23, 1927 Work on Deepening and Enlarging the Swimming Pool at the Sycamore Community Park was in Progress.

    Work on deepening and enlarging the swimming pool at the Sycamore Community Park was in progress. The “peninsula” in front of the McAllister memorial bungalow was already reduced by the use of scapers. This week, contractor Kelly of Rochelle was expected, with his drag line outfit, to begin the work of deepening the pool. A cable to be run across the pool would support a bucket which would dip into the pool and make about two thirds of it much deeper. CLICK TO READ MORE

  • April 9, 1924 The Park District Was to Make a Golf Course at no Cost to Taxpayers.

    The park district was to make a golf course at no cost to taxpayers. There were more than 50 subscribers and well toward 200 were expected to join in the movement to provide Sycamore with a public golf course. CLICK TO READ MORE

  • November 27, 1923 Sycamore Board of Park Commissioners Elected and Park District Voted to be Formed

    On November 27, 1923, the Sycamore Board of Park Commissioners was elected and the park district was voted to be formed. On Monday, December 3, 1923 Judge Pond in county court canvassed the election returns. A total of 1,500 votes had been cast with 812 being yes and 688 being no. It had passed by a margin of 8 percent. CLICK TO READ MORE

  • October 6, 1923 The Beginning

    The first notice of a mass meeting to be conducted by the park committee was published by the Sycamore Chamber of Commerce. This meeting was open to all, and it was urged that every voter attend and express himself freely and fully. This meeting was called after much discussion and canvassing of public sentiment. It was intended at that meeting to nominate 25 citizens as candidates for park commissioners. CLICK TO READ MORE